Bon Ton’s 40 hour fermentation sourdough loaves are made in the time-honoured tradition of using natural bacteria to create wild yeast which enhances the flavour and texture of long fermentation bread. Sourdough not only tastes delicious, it is also nutritious.
Fermented sourdough bread begins with a natural starter which consists of flour and water mixed together and left to ferment.
Yeast from the air reacts with the flour, feeds on the starches and multiplies slowly, producing gut-healthy lactobacillus bacteria. This process pre-digests carbohydrates in the grains which results in the natural rising of the bread.
Our Sourdough Products
50% organic stoneground whole wheat and 50% organic white flour (available Wednesday – Saturday)
Wild Yeast Sourdough
Organic white, organic wholewheat and organic rye flour with organic sunflower seeds and a hint of thyme (available Wednesday & Saturday)
Small and Large
100% Organic white flour (available Wednesday – Saturday)
Carrot Pumpkin Seed
White and wholewheat organic flour, organic fresh carrots and organic pumpkin seeds (available Saturdays)
100% Organic white flour loaded with green olives and a hint of savory thyme leaves.
(available Friday & Saturday)
Organic Prairie Sourdough Rye
This loaf begins with a natural sour culture and we add 70% Gold Forest Grains Organic Rye, Organic White Flour, Organic Sesame, Organic Sunflower, Organic Flax, Organic Pumpkin Seeds and a dash of sea salt.
(available Wednesday – Saturday)
The benefits of sourdough are numerous:
- The natural yeast in the sourdough pre-digests the grains, making them more readily available for digestion.
- Predigestion of the starches and sugars (carbohydrates) in the grains, results in the lowering of the carbohydrate content of the bread which is helpful in blood sugar regulation. This also lowers the G I of the bread , making sourdough a good choice (in moderation) for people with diabetes or blood sugar management issues.
- Gluten breakdown which occurs in the sourdough process (long fermentation) allows some people with gluten sensitivity to better tolerate sourdough bread made from wheat.
- Acetic acid is produced during the long fermentation process and this helps preserve (completely naturally) the bread and allows it to stay fresh longer.
- Lactic acid produced in the sourdough process makes vitamins and minerals in the flour more readily available to the body and is a key component in the predigestion of grains.